fot

Strombergs

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strombergs
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:17:39 -0000
Dear FOTers

Reading e-mails about 'Strombergers'  has in some ways confirmed my
experience that these carbs can be set up to give very good service on
racing engines (Kas Kasner proved that and uncle Jack is doing it now).

Ever aware that often due credit has not been placed where it should have
been in Triumph history, most of my research for Triumph Over Triumph
magazine is centred on this aspect.

The Standard Triumph constant vacuum carb with a diaphram was first
designed by an engineer at Standard Triumph. It became known, by fair means
and foul, 'THE STROMBERG'. I've been researching the truth behind the
Stromberg for years, and finally came upon it a year ago.The engineer in
question has never had a mention, and he also developed the power mods for
the racing Spitfire engines. I'm seeing him again today, and will actually
have my hands on the very first experimental diaphram carb he made - which
became the Stromberg. The full story and photos of his first carb and its
development (due to BMC restricting supply of the S.U) will be in a future
issue of T0T. His first job at Triumph was to cut up the two 20TS sports
car chassis after the car had been scrapped.

Paul