fot

Re: Group 44 TR4/4A info request...

To: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: Group 44 TR4/4A info request...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:04:10 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Kevin O'Driscoll wrote:

> Bill,
> Yes, those are what I was talking about.  I wonder if American Racing
> would do another production run?   I think they are still in business...

Hi -

I have to chime in here...

American Racing has stated to me that they are not interested in making
the older wheels for the British cars. This would be referring to the
4-spoke wheels sometimes referred to as Formula Libre as well as the
Silverstone mini-lite knockoffs.

American Racing is still in business, but you're not going to get these
particular wheels from them.

As for finding them at flea markets, I can say that they do show up
from time to time, I wound up picking up a set of 4 spoke American Racing
wheels this past September at the Lime Rock Vintage festival. Figure
about $500 to more than $750 for a set. And I have seen "silverstones"
there too.

I'd be careful about older real magnesium wheels - there's an article on
the web somewhere whare this topic is addressed by a metalurgist. He also
happens to sell repro wheels, and his comments are specific to Can Am
cars, but the tenor is: don't do it - or if you do, don't race on 'em.

If you decide that you have to have ARE 4 spokes - then drop me line. I
happen to have 8 out in the garage, and I could be swayed toward getting
some Keizers for my AutoXer TR6... It would take upwards of 700 units of
convincement, however.

> -Kevin

> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 BillDentin@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Kevin:
> >
> > Not sure which wheels you're talking about, but if you mean the spoked
> > magnesium Silverstones, which were made by American Racing Wheels, and
> > available via Triumph Dealers, they are only available at Flea Markets, etc.

C ya,
rml