fot

Re: Alloy Heads

To: rjl6n@virginia.edu
Subject: Re: Alloy Heads
From: TR3197@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:52:40 EST
I suspect Uncle Jack has already got one on order....then he will drill holes
in it to lighten it.

<<Amici,

Hmmmm, this appeared on the Triumphs list (from a European member,
so this might be from Moss Europe).  Think anyone would notice????:

Friends,
I just received my Feb '99 issue of Moss Marques magazine...
In it they state [on page 33] that they will be offering brand
new alloy [and cast iron] cylinder heads for the wet liner engine
in April, or sooner. I thought this might be of interest to some
of You...

So FYI, quoted from the text:

"If you are considering major surgery on your current TR2-4A cylinder
head in readiness for the spring then allow us to put a few ideas
under your nose to help you get the best from your car. Your previous
choices would have been to recondition the old head or find a better
second-hand unit. The real problem here is that you don't know, until
you start cutting seats or polishing chambers and ports, just how good
the old core unit is. Put bluntly, it could cost a small fortune to
find out at the end of your modifications that there is hole, crack or
even chamber collapse. You could spend 500 and only end up with a
scrap head!

For the first time in 30 years you no longer have to face this
dilemma!

The cylinder head shown is the very first casting of the exciting
all-new 4 cylinder TR head prior to machining. What's exciting and
special is that this head is made for the first time ever in LIGHT
ALLOY, weighing in at a mere 7kg or so. It is also available in
cast-iron too. Both variants are lead-free, standard compression ratio
and fitted with cast-iron valve guides. These heads are brand-new
items not recon or old stock. Known weakpoints such as the exhaust
valve & combustion chamber area have been strengthened. In addition,
some waterways have been eliminated which normally cause sealing
problems in large bore engines.

Also available to special order will be a part-machined head in either
material and EXCLUDING valve guides and seats, for those willing to
modify to their own competition use specifications.

TriumphTune versions will be available at a future date to complement
the range available.

cheers,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+