fot

RE: Exploding flywheels (was GT6 suspension uprights)

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>,
Subject: RE: Exploding flywheels (was GT6 suspension uprights)
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:19:06 -0500
At 01:38 PM 3/8/99 -0600, Barr, Scott wrote:
>Ok, now that we're on the topic, when a flywheel comes apart, where does
>it generally go?

I've only seen a few flywheels come apart, so I don't know how general
my observations are, given the limited data set.

>Does the flywheel shrapnel move outward in the plane
>of the flywheel's orientation, as my limited knowledge of physics tells
>me it should?

Yeah, pretty much - although the shrapnel's path is often deflected by
large objects (like bellhousings, etc.) that might be in the way.  The
general path of the flying objects tends to be radial, in general.

>If the flywheel is forward of the driver's feet is the
>risk less?

Hmmmmm, I suppose so, but I don't know of many cars (other than, say,
rear engine formula cars) where some part of the driver's body is not
in the radial path of the clutch/flywheel area.

>Better safe than sorry, of course, but ...

Indeed.  NHRA approved scatter blankets aren't that expensive or
heavy... (the steel scattershield in my TR-4, however, is quite
heavy, but I don't mind too much).

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu