fot

Re: Scattershields and flying bits

To: Malaboge@AOL.COM, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Scattershields and flying bits
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:26:20 -0500
At 04:40 PM 3/8/99 EST, you wrote:
>Not only do they take a heavy toll on flesh, they can tear up
>a car pretty well. The floor and tunnel get shredded and the dash usually
>takes a heavy dose, often trying to push it out through the windshield.
All in
>all, not something that you ever want to experience.

One of the flywheel explosions that I've seen was a (real) 427 Cobra,
fresh from the restoration shop - where they re-used a flywheel without
checking it.  The flywheel let go at the end of the long straight at
Pueblo (CO) Motorsports Park.  I don't know for sure how fast the engine
was turning, but it was very ugly indeed.  The firewall was wiped clean
of everything mounted there, the hood was bulged up about 9 inches or
so.  The driver escaped with a broken ankle and a cut foot and felt very
lucky that that was all the injury that he received.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu