fot

Bell housing, Aluminum

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Bell housing, Aluminum
From: beaulieu@tiac.net (Beaulieu Advertising & Design)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:16:41 -0400
Okay guys;

        Since were giving war stories about aluminum bell housings,
        First after racing a Spit for 20 years, I a always assumed stress
cracks were just a nature of the bease, I've re-welded mine up about three
times now...

        Second, One NARRC Runoffs, I heard a hell of clanking coming from
the bell housing... Made a lot of noise, but didn't seem to impair the
performance of the vehicle... thought I had picked up a stone within....
after the race and further inquiry, pulled the system apart... The engine
bulider (not me in this case) didn't tighten enough to backing plate
bolts... damn thing in there shot peened the whole dam inside, flywheel,
pressure plate and clutch...

        Talk about your proverbial vegamatic... I still have, what looks
like a steel marble... its whats left of the bolt...

32 GP Spitfire