fot

Portland Update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Portland Update
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:14:11 -0500 (EST)
Hi all.

Apologies in advance for the cross-posting...

If you are _thinking_ about coming to VTR '99 this July 28 through August
1 in Portland, ME, the following may be of interest to you:

Note: this was "gleaned" from a message from one of the VTR committee folk.

================== 8< Start Blatant Plagurism >8=====================

I really wanted to get a message to you about the Holiday
Inn being full.  We seem to be having a problem with the
Holiday Inn saying they are full when there are still some
rooms available!  Just last week our coordinator called our
contact at the hotel because of these rumors flying around
and learned that there are 20-25 rooms left.  When people
call to make reservations, they must say they are with the
VTR Convention or the hotel will say they are full since
we have all the rooms blocked off for the convention.  If
people are still being told that it is full, I would suggest
that they call our contact at the hotel:  Sally Page,
207-775-2311, ext. 2117.   She seems to be the one who
really knows how many rooms are available.

================== 8< End Blatant Plagurism >8=====================

Thanks so much to the Streeters for providing this material. ;-)

Now, what does this mean??

Two things - while the host hotel is not actually full as of this
writing, it's pretty clear that it will be soon. That's not so bad, but
you also need to factor in the fact that Portland, ME is the central
housing place for "Camp Weekend", which is not just one weekend, but
actually around three weekends centroided around the last weekend in
July, in which all the parents from around the world drop in to see thier
"kids" at their summer camps. In other words: NO VACANCY.

So, as a member of the VTR '99 convention committee - I urge you to
seriously consider your housing arrangements "real soon now" and give the
Holiday Inn by the Bay a call and reserve your room. In fairness to
others, if you have reserved a room and then need to cancel as we get
closer to the event, please post to the triumphs list telling of your
actions so that others can take advantage.

For more info, see:

http://www.vtr.org/conventions/vtr-99.html

Thanks.
rml

p.s. and don't forget to send in your registration stuff prior to May
15th to take advantage of the "early bird" registration fees.
p.p.s. to you newsletters folks out there, please get the word out.
Bob Lang           Editor, New England Triumphs | This space for rent.
TR6 Guy                                         |
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535      |