fot

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:30:27 EST
FOTers:

The discussion of bell housing breakage in early TR4s is very timely for me...
I'm ready to put one in a car but have stopped till I figure out what to do to
minimize the possibility of cracking.

Kas has explained about the "gong" device they used to use, and Nick (at least
I think it was Nick) has recommended welding braces from the bell housing to
the tranny.  Another "old" TR racer I talked to today said the problem was
probably caused by the combination of engine and tranny flexing, since they
were supported only by the front motor mounts and the tranny mount at the
rear.  Without support in the middle, the flexing would break the bell
housing.  He said he used to install motor mounts at the rear of the engine to
eliminate the flex.  This seems to make sense, but I wonder if anyone else has
done this or is there some reason this wouldn't take care of it.

Thanks...
Don Marshall