fot

No Triumphs but Tribulations anyway

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: No Triumphs but Tribulations anyway
From: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:53:02 -0500
Hi Amici!

I just wanted to send a note about this weekend -- we (Texas Region SCCA
Solo II) just put on a National Tour in the parking lot around Texas
Motor Speedway.  We had about 270 cars, and all went pretty smoothly.
The event went GREAT, and I took first place in CML (pretty stiff
competition -- I was the only one in class)!  Yes, I said C Mod Ladies.
I know that's not a Spitfire class, and ya'll are wondering what
happened to Tristan.  He spent a quiet weekend in the garage,
unfortunately.  I was preparing him for laps of the Speedway this
weekend (a neato part of our event) -- rebuilt the brake master cylinder
after it dumped fluid into the driver's footwell and did a few other
little things.  Before I started to bleed the brakes (the night before
the event) after reinstalling the master I hit the clutch to take it out
of gear and the clutch had frozen up.  I then started the engine and
Phil noticed water leaking from the water pump.  Upon closer inspection,
it turned out to be oil from the front main seal.  So Frustrated Me shut
the project down and proceeded to help Phil get the rest of the stuff
together to run his Formula Ford, which I was going to autocross this
weekend anyway.

The Ford was awesome (my second event in it, and first long course --
9/10 mile) and I REALLY enjoyed it.  I missed Tristan a lot, but am
learning that a formula car is quite different in enjoyable ways...  I
especially appreciate the way you can let off it in third gear and when
you step on it again it's there -- it doesn't bog down when turning
lower rpms in third.  Now I will NOT give up my beloved Spit, but I sure
am glad to have this opportunity to run the Van Diemen!

I hope all ya'll (the plural of ya'll, for those of you not in the
South) had as enjoyable a weekend as I did!  (But without the sunburn...
oooch!)

Keep Triumphing,
Susan   :)