fot

Re: VTR Convention travel?

To: fot@autox.team.net, Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: VTR Convention travel?
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mailhost2.planet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:13:15 +0000
> Date:          Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:23:40 -0600 (MDT)
> From:          Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>

> My wife Karen has looked up a few airfares for flights from Salt Lake to
> Portland, Maine.  Roughly $500 round trip.  What do I see in the ads for
> airfare to Boston?  Less than half that.
>
> So, is flying into Boston and then renting a car for the drive to the
> convention a feasible proposition?  Let's see:
>
>                         Portland   Boston
> Round trip airfare        500        225
> Car rental                           100
>
> Total                     500        325
>

> Is the savings in airfare and the convenience of having transportation for
> the weekend worth the, uh, 100 mile drive?  Other options?  Worth flying
> in a day early and taking some side trips?

Short answer is YES!

You can drive up along the coast on US1 and it doesn't take
that long at all.  Having a car in Portland would be a plus
also.  Downtown Portland is relatively a small area, but
there are numerous places to visit within 1/2 hour to an
hour from Portland.  No trip to Maine is complete without
visiting LL Bean's famous mailorder home...open every
day, 24 hours a day...which makes it a good place to visit
late in the evening when you actually might have some free
time from convention revelry.

The trip from Boston to Portland is probably just about
2 hours if you stick to the Interstates.

Hope that helps in your planning.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl
VTR Odd Editor