fot

Re: TR3/4 oil cooler adapter

To: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: TR3/4 oil cooler adapter
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 99 09:11:22 -0700
>I have collected 3 different types of oil cooler adapters. One just fits in
>line with the spin on adapter, but the other 2 mount behind the filter head.
>One is drilled exactly the same as the holes in the head and uses longer
>bolts, but the other has/had some little extender bolts which also act as
>locating pegs. When I got my 3, it had this plate with 2 left. One broke
>this weekend while I was fitting new SS hoses, so I switched to the other
>type (I'd already made the hoses to fit.....&*$#--@^ so I had to lengthen
>one of the hoses). It's a lot harder to get the thing lined up, so I like to
>switch back at some point. Does anyone know which vender sells the type with
>the bolt/pegs so I can get some more?
>TIA

Bob it sounds like you were using the adapter that Moss motors sells.  I
started off with one of those.  The one I had may have been slightly
misdrilled as some of the oil passages were almost closed.  I filed them
a little wider to make sure I had decent oil flow.

About the "extender bolts"  They are soft metal and can handle about the
same torque as a grade 2 bolt of the same size.  The transition from the
external threaded section to the internal threaded section is rounded.
This means that it provides a place for oil to flow (the adaptor has
minimal sealing surfaces in that area) and can easily become a link in an
oil leak.  And of course if you try to torque the gasket down a little
more you twist off he "extender bolts"

I ended up having a set of new "extender bolts" machined out of hard
steel with a 90 degree step between the inner and outer threaded
sections.  This provided better sealing and "extender bolts" that I would
not twist off during assembly.

When the engine was last rebuilt I removed the Moss external oil filter
adaptor and replaced it with the one that Greg Solo sells.  The
connections to the oil cooler are in a much better location for a TR3
engine and I was able to do without a couple of right angle adaptors that
the Moss one required me to use. (designed for the TR4 front plate near
as I can tell)

If you keep that adaptor I highly recommend that you have a new set of
"extender bolts" made up from a much harder steel.

Take care

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937