fot

Spitfire rear spats

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire rear spats
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:52:08 +0100
Dear FOTers

The FOTer group may be interested in several enquiries I've received from
Spitfire owners who, interested in my pending article on the works 1964/5
Le Mans Spits, ask 'were the rear wheel spats (faired in rear wheel arches)
much of a help in increasing top speed on the 1965 Le Mans cars as reported
by Graham Robson?

-I don't know where Robson got his information to make his 'wheel spat'
speed calculations, because the works Spitfires were not fitted with rear
wheel spats in the 1965 Le Mans race!! They were tried at Silverstone and
produced no speed advantage whatsoever so they were not used. Another major
reason the spats were not used was because they also proved themselves a
distinct disadvantage when it came to wheel changes.

Best wishes

Paul