fot

Re: Spitfire rear spats

To: BillDentin@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Spitfire rear spats
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:28:11 -0400 ()
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 BillDentin@aol.com wrote:

> Amici:
>
> In the early 1980s, I saw a set of 'spats' at one of the NATC efforts in
> Detroit.  As I remember, they belonged to a guy who had run into some
> financial troubles and 'lost' his TR3 to the bank.  The spats were all he
> saved, and they were to be auctioned off....

> Bill Dentinger

Funny you should mention that, Bill. I remember well seeing those spats
and considering them myself. Ultimately I passed on them, but I did buy a
Spare Parts Catalog from the gentlemen. I distinctly remember taking the
catalogue back to my room, then realizing that the "Accessories" page from
that book detailing the wheel spats was still on his table of other little
goodies and NOT in the catalogue I'd just bought. I dashed back with the
book and, fortunately, that page was still there!

I also still wish I'd bought the spats, although I think they look better
somehow on an early TR2 than on a late 3A.

--Andy