fot

Re: Tires

To: <Malaboge@AOL.COM>, <TRBILBO@AOL.COM>, <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "doug_sallen" <doug_sallen@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 17:52:54 -0700
Great and timely topic.  This is one of those questions that only a rookie
brings up.

I've recently started racing a '64 +4 in CSRG (twice) and VARA (once).  I
ran very old 5.0 x 15 Bluestreaks in the first two events.  I was trying to
figure out what was going on and the tires were adequate but so badly
worn-out that I tossed them and replaced them with Yoko 008R's for the VARA
event (CSRG lets you run the 008R's also).  As everyone knows the Goodyears
aren't available as production has been moved to Chili (really).  I use
5.0x15's wheels on the front and 5.5x15's on the rear.

I would like to get a set of "widest and highest" performance street tires
available so I don't use the Yoko's on the street.  I have a spare set of
5.5 x 15, 72 spoke wheels.  I went to the HMSA event at Sears Point this
weekend and there were a few cars with "old" Bluestreaks and a lot of
Goodrich Comp T/A R1's of size 185/70-15s.  A +4 racer from Southern
California said they fit on 5.5x15 rims with no mods and only rub once in a
while!!!

Any feedback on great tires (brand and size) that fits 5.5x15 wheels that
"could" be used for competition in a pinch (like driving to a race!!!).

Doug