fot

Re: Mid-Ohio

To: Mike Jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Subject: Re: Mid-Ohio
From: bwarner@mediaone.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:29:21 -0400
Mike Jackson wrote:

> I encourage others to post reports on the weekend since we
> all saw it from different places in the paddock and on the
> track.  We'll all learn little bits from reading each of
> those reports!  I' ve already seen one report that has the
> top of the TR/MG finishing order. My 20th place with an
> engine that was sputtering wasnt my finest hour but it was
> back alive Sunday morning.
>
> Highlights:
>
> 400+ cars overall.  Probably the largest SVRA Mid-Ohio race
> ever
>
> 75 cars list on the grid order for the start of the normal
> group race the TR3 is in
>
> nearly that many for the TR/MG race
>
> We all owe a big thank you to Joe Alexander for all his
> effort to put this together.
>
> everybody paddocked in the only grassy paddock left at the
> track.  So many leaky British cars in one spot it may need
> superfund help to clean up the mess.  Lots of great folks.
>
> Panoramic photo taken at the keyhole with all those TRs and
> MGs in three rows, what a cool old camera from the 1930s
>
> Mordy Dunst from California learned to drive probably the
> most technical track in the east US in 1 session!  This guy
> flys.  Massively wasted all the tractor TRs in the TR/MG
> race.  What a drive.
>
> And then he provided the wine (not whine) for the after race
> party.  Thanks guy!
>
> Many awards distributed at the party.  Maybe Bill Dentinger
> has the list and can publish it.  Bill Warner, winner of the
> race and all around great guy was recipient of the award
> donated by Susan Miller in memory of her husband, John
> Kelly.  Bill was truly surprized since he thought he'd been
> involved in the decision...guess not, eh Bill?
>
> My friend and team mate, Glen Efinger was awarded the Bill
> Ames award, a traveling trophy whose recipient is selected
> by the previous holder.  Dentinger made this selection, he
> can drop us a note and explain the whole thing.  Glen and  I
> had a chance to meet, talk and race with Bill Ames over that
> last few years of his life and that makes the award even
> more special.  Ames was a great guy and his cars were really
> interesting.  There was one Ambro at this event and it was
> well turned out, a good representative of the marque.
>
> Let's hear from everyone else!
Many thanks to all the FOT's at Mid-Ohio.  Since I had not been back
there in over seven years, I was really slow picking up the rhythm of
the track.  I needed a really inspired Kent Pain to get me going.  He
drove a really good race. The old Group 44 car is a little corpulant
(2300 lbs), not to mention the driver (215 lbs), but once the old girl
gets up to 6 grand, she sails pretty well.  Finally got down to a
1:45.11 on Sunday finally getting by my old 1983 nemesis, Joe Maloy.
Sorry I let you folks down with the Ginetta, Lotus Super and the Elva.
I just have to haul too much weight.  Jerry Mason in the ex-Pete Brock
BRE 240Z flew.....qualified at a 1:42....and disappeared.  Well driven
in a really fast car.   Now I know how Bob Tullius felt running against
John Morton back in 1971 and 1972.  Lanky Foushee enjoyed meeting all
that came by the garage.....at the ripe old age of 56, I get a warm
garage whenever I can.  I'm not anti-social, it is just easier to find
the dropped parts on the concrete rather than the grass.  And speaking
of parts, the car ran flawlessly thanks to Lanky and Colin Day.  The
only things we did was retorque and Loc-Tite the half shaft bolts,
change the tires, and fuel the car.  Not one drip of oil was left on
the  concrete floor.  Thanks to all for making it memorable.  Perhaps
next year we bring the TR-8.   Bill Warner