fot

GT6+ PCV system?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6+ PCV system?
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 10:21:49 -0700
Does anyone out there understand how this is supposed to work?
There's a manifold fitting, which goes to the PCV valve, which
goes to a T fitting. One leg of the T goes to the rocker cover
vent, and the other to the charcoal canister.

I've been getting oil out of the rocker filler, which makes me
think that the crankcase is pressurized. If I open the filler
while the engine is running, it doesn't die - which seems to
me a bad sign, since it should be presenting a huge vacuum leak.
In fact, it doesn't change the idle at all.

If I put my thumb over the leg of the T that goes the rocker vent,
I don't feel suction.

If I put my thumb over the T side of the PCV valve, I get suction,
hear a click inside the valve (it's not the original Smith's unit,
but a little aftermarket inline unit, which may be part of the
problem) and the idle drops way down. That makes me think that
there is a fair bit of air going directly into the manifold
during normal running(?) coming through the carbon canister?

I'm sooo confused.