fot

TR-MG Challenge Race

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-MG Challenge Race
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:12:50 -0500
Now that the dust has settled I'd like to add my comments on the Mid
Ohio event. Although I get to see some fine cars at the CVAR events in
Texas, I have never seen such an incredible group of cars in one place.
I guess I suffer from TR racecar deprivation. I get lonely down here
running the only TR!  I was extremely impressed with the facility from
the spectator standpoint. Of course, the Triumph contingent and the
impressive group of Triumph racecars really made the trip worthwhile. I
regret not taking the time to bring my car and promise that if the
powers that be decide to make it an annual event, I will bring the
Kramer clan and TR3A each and every year. Eldest daughter Jennifer has
already professed her desire to race a TR. At 16, she just got her
license, and doesn't know how to drive a clutch yet (or how to turn a
wrench), but I see fun in the future!

 After driving the 20 hours non-stop with my buddy Charlie Stewart, we
got to take in the afternoon races Saturday, but were fortunate enough
to find a hotel room for the night. Although we planned on going back to
the camping area for the evening "festivities", one look at the beds was
all it took. The organizers were nice enough to schedule our favorite
cars for early  Sunday, so we were able to leave early enough to make it
back home by 7 AM the next morning and then off to work (after a short
nap). Although I didn't get to meet everyone, I really had a great time
talking to and meeting a bunch of the FOT. Joe, thanks again for
connecting us all together and giving up your seat to coordinate the TR
goings on. I hope somebody writes a nice article for the VTR mag,
British Car, VM and GRM. The event deserves the coverage.

I've been a staunch VTR Nationals supporter for a number of years, and
go whenever travel is reasonable. I've come to wish that the annual VTR
event could be located someplace in the middle portion of the country
where it would be possible for everyone to attend each and every year.
Alas, what club would want that responsibility? With the VTR events for
the next 2 years being where they are, the trip to Mid Ohio was an
easier choice. The TR3A engine being on the floor of the garage may have
had a little to do with it (CVAR had a race the same weekend which I had
planned to attend.) The point is, with the TR MG Challenge event
publicized to the general VTR/6 Pack/TRA/AMGA/NAMGBA etc. groups and a
quality event like the organizers put on this year, I think even more
people would come to watch year after year. So my vote is to make it an
annual event.=20

Bob Kramer
TR3A, TR6, TR4A, Devin TR3
Hill Country Triumph Club