fot

Re: G-production not meeting criteria

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: G-production not meeting criteria
From: Mike Jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:11:46 -0400
I race a vintage TR3.  Like Uncle Jack and my friend Bill D. mentioned, vintage
races are a wonderfull lot of fun among a diverse group of quick and not so
quick cars.  Everybody has a good time driving and hanging around enjoying each
other.  Engine swaps and massive mechanical flails are pretty rare.  There is
no protest mechanism in most organizations.  SCCA used to be fun for folks that
have cars like ours.

I have many, many production friends since I am a member of a large SCCA
community in central and southern Florida.  They run HP, GP, FP.  They
constantly piss and moan about SCCA not assuring them a place to race their
cars forever under a fixed set of rules.  And are really hacked off now that
reasonably modern Datsuns, Mazdas, etc are being introduced to their beloved
production classes.  I chuckle, get a beer, and tell them that they are all
"future vintage" racers, they just havent come to that conclusion yet.

In our SCCA regions we have a separate vintage race group at each regional.
Slowly a few local production car racers are joining us.  Maybe other regions
should consider it as a good place to  keep the loyal racers that they are
losing to other outlets.

I'm still a loyal SCCA member.  I treasure every SCCA race I run in our vintage
group.  There is no doubt that I'm a better driver for all the seat time those
races provide, and compared to SVRA and HSR entry fees, they are very
affordable.  I keep thinking how much more fun they will be when more of the
"future vintage" production guys finally decide to make a switch and either
join us or buy a car that is in the mainstream of the modern SCCA.