fot

Re: Static cling decals,

To: brooks@belcotech.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Static cling decals,
From: EPaul21988@AOL.COM
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:46:45 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/99 2:52:11 PM EST, brooks@belcotech.com writes:

<< Pricing is about $2/per decal with a minimum quantity of 60 each.  Final
 pricing will depend on the logo detail, number of colors and size.  I don't
 see a problem with working though Joe, as Amici Triumphi is simply group of
 racers; the Friends of Triumph.  I will press for his source to work direct
 first though.  I'll also do some checking on the availability of finding
 this type of static cling decal locally, here in NJ. >>

Here are three sources.

1. An Advertising Specialty dealer, find them in the yellow pages.   This is
your most likely bet, unless you live in a very rural area there should be
several in your local book. I own an Ad Specialty business myself so I am
certain anyone listed in the phone book can do the job.  Ask for quotes

2. Some screen printers print decals as well as shirts, etc.  Some specialize
in decals.  Again the yellow pages.

3. Many print shops can do the job and others farm them out to #2 above.

BTW the number of colors printed controls the price almost completely.  Fine
lines, screened colors, bleed or printing color right over the edge of the
decal,and tight registration or how close the different colors printed must
come to each other,  are also important, but those factors can be taken care
of by  creating artwork that is easy to print.  Simplify. You may be asked to
supply 'camera ready' artwork or pay the supplier to do the work.  This means
that the artwork is actually photographed (now scanned) and prepped for
printing directly.   This means that 'exactly' what you see on the supplied
artwork is exactly what you see when printed.  It there are stains on the
original, they will appear on the print.  If the lines are jagged or hand
drawn that's what it will look like, There may also be a one time set up
charge or screen charge of anywhere from $15 to $25 per color.  You can have
them printed to put inside a window, artwork showing outside, usually at no
additional cost.

Here's all you need to tell anyone to get a quote with simple artwork.

1. number of colors and whether you'll take 'standard' colors i.e. Red,
Yellow, Green, etc. and not quibble about the actual shade. You can show them
something with the colors you want on it and they will match very closely.
If you  require a very exact, specific color ( like IBM blue) you need you
ask for a PMS Match (Pantone Matching System not the ladies malady).  You can
ask to look at a PMS book to see the myriad of colors. The actual color is
specified by a number and can communicate color nuances to anyone anywhere
having the book, which is anyone in the printing or graphics business.
You can get 4 color process printing (looks like a color photo) but I don't
think you want to go to all the trouble to prepare the artwork etc.

2. Quantity.  Cost per piece drops dramatically as quantity goes up.  Ask for
prices at several different quantities, some well above what you might think
you need. 60 pieces is a fairly low quantity.  Check it out.

3.  Size and shape of the decal.  Standard shapes are cheapest, square being
best.  If you have an irregular design, print on square clear material large
enough to float the image.  They look fine and those who want to trim can.
Don't ask for an unusual shaped decal, cost will go through the roof.
Anywhere near a window sticker size for a car should cost almost the same,
within an inch or 2.  Usually they are sold in square inches, before trimming.

4. Show them the artwork.

I got carried away with this, any questions contact me directly.  You can
easily find someone to do this work.  It's very common.

Bob Paul