fot

Group 1- Watkins Glen Report

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Group 1- Watkins Glen Report
From: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:33:14 -0400
Watkins Glen SVRA 1999

Group 1 (Session A by the new designation) finished with Spitfires in 1, 2
and 3. Also a Spit in 6 and 12 with 2  grounded with mechanical woes,
myself included.
First place was Sean Ryan, second was Dave Belden, and third was Marcus
Jones with a very heroic run considering he blew apart one axle assembly
the night before, spent the better part of the night putting it together
after a run across the countryside for pieces and parts. It was a very
competitive field yet both 2nd and 3rd places were taken by very fast 1147
rides and well developed driving skills. Lots more working for these folks
than cubic inches. Donn Sopp put the spurs to his Spit and ran some of the
fastest laps I have ever seen him do on tires without the cord showing. Too
much caffiene maybe?

The weather was spectacular with the exception of an early morning track
washing on Thursday in the wee hours.

Group three had a number of TR/FOT entrants and perhaps one of them can
supplement my input. Bob Wismer, John Harkness, Bill Dentinger, George
Wright and Ed Ceilley were among the FOT in Group 3. We also had a few
defectors from FOT, Rich Hone and Larry Rossi running their formula cars
and maybe they can comment on that too.

Bill Sohl was there lending moral support (I need all I can get!) and
assisting wherever possible. Multiple others of VTR and other TR club
affiliations were in attendance and really made the weekend great. Ted and
Doris Schumacher were also in attendance.