fot

Re: Group 1- Watkins Glen Report

To: rem9@cornell.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Group 1- Watkins Glen Report
From: BillDentin@AOL.COM
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:06:40 EDT
In a message dated 09/13/1999 4:43:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
rem9@cornell.edu writes:

<< Group three had a number of TR/FOT entrants and perhaps one of them can
 supplement my input. Bob Wismer, John Harkness, Bill Dentinger, George
 Wright and Ed Ceilley were among the FOT in Group 3. >>

I can report my take on a few of the others I saw:

George Wright's equipment (TR4) and driving skills were most impressive all
week end, especially during the Qualifying Race, where for some reason he did
not start where he was grided, and had to work his way up thru fifty-some
cars to earn a 6th (later 7th) spot on the Feature Race grid.  George
finished 6th Overall and 4th in Class (impressive stuff in front of him).
George was VERY impressive, and the TRIUMPH Top of the Line all week end.

Bill Thuml (TR4) promised similar performance, but chased gremlins all week
end.

John Harkness back his gorgeous TR3A off the trailer with his overdrive 'in.'
 Good Bye overdrive.  I am not sure, but I think John runs a 4:55 rear end,
which would make Watkins Glen is a hell of a track to not have an overdrive.
I am sure John ended up leaving 7-10 seconds per lap on the ramps of his
trailer.  John was 20th Overall and 4th in Class in Sunday's GROUP THREE
Feature Race.

In the feature race, Dave Spiwak demonstrated what a bunch of Lemmings we
FOTer's are, when he exited the False Grid via a ramp that goes back to the
paddock, vice out onto the track.  Dummies like me followed him.  We got it
sorted out.  I think Spiwak has some trouble Sunday, as he finished 29th
Overall and 7th in Class in Sunday's GROUP THREE Feature Race, and he ran
better than that all week end.  Dave's pretty red TR3 was featured in the
local newspaper twice over the week end.

Doctor Ed Ceilley ran well, but his trusty GT6 is smoking bad.  I was behind
him a time or two, and I wondered if maybe he forgot to put some of the rings
in when he rebuilt the engine.  The good news was a low mosquito (New York
State Bird) count all week end.  The Doc was 27th Overall and 1st in Class in
Sunday's GROUP THREE Feature Race.

Bob Wismer (TR4) ran good all week end, steadily improving his Watkins Glen
lap times, and then was DNF'd by a failed left front wheel bearing in the
feature race.

As for myself, while our Tornado T.R.3 Thunder Bolt also had a gremlin
(either a short or an 'iffy' ground we still have not found, and which caused
the engine to kill during down shifting), I did have my fastest ever (Watkins
Glen) lap times.  Maybe I have finally stopped trying to drive the Glen as if
I was at Road America.  Hope so.  About time!  I ended up 16th Overall and
8th in Class in Sunday's GROUP THREE Feature Race.

My biggest impression of this trip to THE GLEN was the fabulous weather!!!
It was never better.  Short sleeved shirts and shorts even a night.  Could
not believe it.  That is not the norm for mid-September at the Glen.

Bill Dentinger