fot

Re: The good news/ Bad news weekend

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The good news/ Bad news weekend
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:46:17 -0700
Bill,
        I read your note regarding your dismay at the possibility of having
to bring your car into a more historicly correct vintage trim.
        I think you'll find that most groups are experiencing the same
concerns.
        I am wondering why there are so many cars that have been allowed to
race that are not prepared as vintage race cars.  Are the fibreglass fenders
easier to repair and allowing people to attempt more risky manuvers? are
they lighter allowing better acceleration?  The weight of the generator is
considerable and must slow you down, maybe you could gut the thing and run
constant loss without any horsepower draw at all.
        The TR-3 's that were run in the 50's and 60's were controlled as to
engine displacement (valve sizes), originality of the suspensions, tires,
brakes, carburetors and handled, excelerated in a manner that the SCCA or
FIA wanted to effect even and safe race groupings.  It would seem that your
not really wanting to race a TR-3 and are more concerned with your ability
to placing high in the final order.  I personally think the Triumphs are a
fun car to drive within the spirit and rules of our stricter groups.
        I had a chat with Bill Parish at a VARA event at Buttonwillow a
couple of years ago.  He expressed concern over the preparation of the race
cars as not being in vintage preparation which resulted in higher top
speeds, handling, and braking potential.  I think we looked at a Mark II
Jaguar sedan with Willwood brakes, BMW 5-speed gearbox and a XJ6 engine with
all the state-of-the-art performance modifications.  He thought that the
spirit of that car and a number of others were not vintage and could hurt
the ability of insurers to provide inexpensive coverage for vintage events.
SCCA has in the past changed rules citing insurance as the predominate
reason.
        I really like vintage racing and the HMSA philosophy that we are
only preserving the cars as they  were raced.  If you have a real land speed
record TR-3 that did Bonneville , I'd love to see it on the track.  If you
have a rare TR-3 that was run in Modsports in the 80's it would be real
interesting.  I don't think any one is terribly interested in a half baked
cheater weird "hotrod" Triumph or how it placed nor how disappointed you
are.
        I would really be interested in seeing you and your TR-3 in original
configuration at a CSRG or HMSA race some time, and having a good time
after!

        Stewart Smith
        1957 TR-3
        1958 TR-3
        1962 Morgan +4
        1958 Lotus 7 series1 F (Ford 100E flathead engine)