fot

Re: TR compression vs. HP, etc

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR compression vs. HP, etc
From: Catpusher@AOL.COM
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:07:21 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/99 11:06:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

<<
 The issue of pop-up pistons has come to the fore several times over the
 years and the information never seems to be saved or passed.  >>

<snip>
Once the good heads were gone, it became clear to me that pop-up pistons
were the only option that I could think of for a motor to win the ARRC.

It took a large investment of time and money to make it work in the TR3
motor.  I doubt that it was easy for Jack Wheeler, even after I let him know
that it could work.

  Kas is very correct about the flame front getting upset!
The likes of Lester Lichty would be appalled.

The increased octane of available, legal, racing fuel;  the more exact timing
of beyond distributor ignition systems, and legal alternative con rods
are the major changes to this
situation since the 60s and early 70s.

I did win many earlier races with the fine Hepolite 87mm pistons.

I also figured out how to make the factory rear crank seal work at high RPM,
and always check the flywheel runout.

I had a long call from Steve Froines today (TR4 Natl. Champ and the last
West Coast JRT Comp Director)  He could not help me with my wondering
about 67 TR3 Natl. Champ Lee Midgley

The  Hardy   HP