fot

TR compression vs. HP..now pistons and cams...Plus SoCal Pinewood

To: Catpusher@AOL.COM, owner-fot@autox.team.net, kaskas@earthlink.net,
Subject: TR compression vs. HP..now pistons and cams...Plus SoCal Pinewood
From: TR3197@AOL.COM
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:52:26 EDT
FOT,

Hepolite pistons: oddly, a couple of years ago I came across some NOS
Hepolites that are 87MM  .030 OS. I put them on the shelf awaiting a new
engine build. I have been slowly assembling the parts to build this engine
and have now begun.

It is good to hear of such positive remarks regarding these Hepolites, in any
case.

BTW, if anyone has any recommendations for an intermediate cam grind for
running vintage, I would appreciate it.

I plan to be under 11:1 in CR and want power range to be near 3500-5500 RPM
with an emphasis on reliability with a redline of 6000. I have heard some
good things about the G-3 and TR-777 Isky cams and then I hear that this is
'Old Technology' and "there are much better cams out there".

I currently use the TR-666 Isky cam, per late Mike Belfer's recommendation,
and have done so with great relative success...the car has seen 2:58 a few
times at Road America and this is likely the extent of our ambition. There
are times however, when it would be nice to have a little more punch for
passing, or simply keeping pace with some of my friends.

Sidebar Comments: One note is that when our John Engine Engineering 'flow
bench' guy examined the TR4A head he indicated that when approaching .500
lift this engine would/should respond very well. Not being familiar with this
engine design he said "it sure reminded him of a tractor engine". :-)

Anyway, I am prepared to take any sage advice that I can. Please understand
that I run a stock transmission and final drive, too.
Regards,
Joe
PS: When in San Ramon for the Triumphest, Kent Howard and I enountered a
SoCal lady who entered a pinewood derby car which was reportedly prepared, in
part, by a 50s and 60s Triumph Tuner of the first magnitude (resides in
Orange County). BTW, her pinewood derby car won going away. The legacy lives
on.