fot

Re: Triumph-specific Race History (fwd)

To: "Andrew Mace" <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>,
Subject: Re: Triumph-specific Race History (fwd)
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:39:47 +0100
>A good friend of mine owns a 1959 TR3A and is curious to
know whether
>there is a way to determine a possible racing history for
his Triumph.
>How were Rally Cars registered for such events and, if so,
would they have
>been registered by body and engine serial numbers?  Are
there such
>registration logs?  I will supply the body and engine
serial numbers if
>you inform me that such historical information exists.

Andrew

My first reaction to your question would be to reply with
the words "it depends ..."

If the car was used for racing and rallying in North
America, I would think the vehicle left England as a normal
production car without any preparation carried out at the
factory. This is mainly for the reason that racing/rallying
rules and regs in the US were well different from those in
Europe. To that extent, the car in its final form as a
competitive unit would be largely if not totally prepared in
the destination market. However, if extensive use was seen
outside the US, there is a far better chance (though by no
means guaranteed) that some work would have been undertaken
in Coventry. If so, provision of the chassis number to
Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon could well turn up the sort
of info you are seeking.

Jonmac