fot

RE: piston weights

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: piston weights
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:06:15 -0400
Greetings one and all.

Since picking up the TR4 race car I have been way too busy working, not
near enough shop time. I'm hoping that will change realsoonnow. (Not
betting on it...)

The engine had been plagued with blown headgaskets. The build includes
Venolia flat top pistons, about .160 off the head, a BF&E 300 cam, etc. It
was run one weekend since being built but couldn't keep it's headgasket sealed.

I performed a quick, high tech test of the liner to deck height. My
fingernail tells me the all four liners exhibit the same problem, at one or
two corners the liners are proud of the deck, but the other corners the
liners are even with the deck height. I think these are bored out stock
liners, BTW.

So, the question... Can I get away with pulling the liners, having them
trued up and piling up a couple of figure 8 gaskets to achieve the correct
liner to deck height? Or am I looking at a new set of liners?

Shame on you, you bad liners, why can't you stand up and be proud again???

Henry Frye      thefryes@iconn.net
http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/amici.html
For The Street - TR3B TR250 Stag
Not For The Street - TR4