fot

Re: Magazine article

To: "Jim Hill" <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Magazine article
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:49:46 -0000
Jim Hill wrote:

>The current issue of the Triumph magazine has several
interesting letters to
>(and replies from) the editor, dealing with the British
Motor Heritage
>Trust, the 40th anniversary of the Herald, and other spicy
bits. Look for
>the letter from our own John McCartney.

And don't take any notice of the editorial comment
underneath that letter about the value of cars in stock
relating to Coventry manufacturers AS A WHOLE as allegedly
reported by Robin Penrice in earlier issues. In todays
values, that equates to about GBP200 million (US$320
million) of unsold cars and parts inventories and no car
manufacturer of the likes of Standard Triumph, Rootes Group,
Jaguar or whoever could have afforded to fund that level of
inventory. It's 33% of the reason why the company went bust
and was bought by Leyland. I have written extensively on the
period on the company's finances and some of the key reasons
for its demise. To my almost certain knowledge, that is one
aspect of Standard Triumph's post-war history that TW
columnists have never covered because they're just "dry,
dusty old money numbers."

John Macartney