fot

Re: Thanksgiving - enquiring minds and the Triumph of the Mayflower

To: "Jim Hill" <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Thanksgiving - enquiring minds and the Triumph of the Mayflower
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:41:25 -0000
>Our "Thanksgiving", on the other hand, is traced to the
Mark II, or "1620"
>Pilgrims.

Good heavens, it wasn't that late was it? Just 22 years
before our own Civil War started. Poor blighters, makes you
feel sorry for them. Seems they didn't have much of a choice
in those days. Either "go west, young man" or stay here and
get your wotsits blown off - or poked off with a mace.

Who, I'm told, purchased their turkeys pre-cooked from a PDQ
>convenience store operated by Native Americans (the first
in a long line of
>such stores whose operators don't speak English, by the
way).

I truly didn't know that the Patels and the Singhs had
arrived there so early. I think this latter group must have
started their emigration from India and Pakistan and went
round the world in an easterly direction. They didn't arrive
here to run our PDQ convenience stores until about 40 years
ago.

Cheers
John