fot

Re: TR-6 Technical Question

To: "Jack Wheeler" <jwheeler@robus.com>, "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Technical Question
From: "Janice/Matt Matthews" <matthews-home@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:37:32 -0600
Jack
Don't really know about the TR-6 but we have been having similar problems
with our FP Spitfire.
We have blamed it on the float bowl levels, particularly indicated by the
car flooding on right hand curves and taking a while on the straight to
clean up. When we move the piston up and let it fall gas is pumped out the
jet. We lowered the fuel level in the float bowls until the level was just
even with the bottom of the restriction in the jet, relying on capillary
forces to bring the fuel higher. It seems to have cured the problem. To
some extent this seems to make no sense since the engine tilt is only about
4 degrees and we go up and down hills much steeper, but it seemed to work.
We use MGB 1.5 SU's with Spitfire float bowls and set the floats at about
0.250 inches, deeper than the manual.

----------
> From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@robus.com>
> To: 'FOT' <fot@autox.team.net>
> Subject: TR-6 Technical Question
> Date: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 6:21 AM
>

> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BF414C.DB929580
>
> I have encountered a problem with a 1974 TR-6 I am working on, and am
> hoping someone out there may be able to help me out.
>
> Everything on this car has been rebuilt, including the engine and carbs.
>  I'm now trying to tune the carbs.  I have disconnected the linkage
> connecting the two carbs and adjusted each separately so that they are
> pulling the same amount of air at idle.  With the engine warm, I check
the
> mixture in each carb by lifting the piston about 1/4" (per the workshop
> manual).  When I lift the piston in the rear carb, the idle increases,
> indicating a rich condition.  Therefore, I have adjusted the needle all
the
> way down to the bottom of the piston (i.e. as lean as it will go), and
this
> test still shows a rich condition.
>
> The front carb is the opposite.  When I lift the piston, the engine dies,

> indicating a lean condition.  I have raised the needle in this piston as
> far as it will go (i.e. full rich), but the engine still dies when I lift

> the piston, indicating too lean.
>
> Most of the work I have done on these cars has been on the TR-2/3/4
series
> which had no emission controls.  Could the emission controls be causing
> this problem?  I have kept all of the original vacuum lines in place.
>
> Also, when the engine is cold, it will backfire out of one or the other
> carb when I blip the throttle.  The ignition timing is set for 30 degrees

> at full advance, and the advance curve seems to be OK (i.e. it drops back

> to near TDC at idle).
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions from the FOT group as to what might be

> causing this problem.  Many thanks.
> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BF414C.DB929580

eJ8+IiIMAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy

b3NvZnQgTWFpbC5Ob3RlADEIAQ2ABAACAAAAAgACAAEEkAYAeAEAAAEAAAAQAAAAAwAAMAIAAAAL

AA8OAAAAAAIB/w8BAAAAYAAAAAAAAAC1O8LALHcQGqG8CAArKlbCFQAAAE/fU0dz1dIRipIA4Ckz

SIokhgAAAAAAAIErH6S+oxAZnW4A3QEPVAIAAAAARk9UAFNNVFAAZm90QGF1dG94LnRlYW0ubmV0

AB4AAjABAAAABQAAAFNNVFAAAAAAHgADMAEAAAATAAAAZm90QGF1dG94LnRlYW0ubmV0AAADABUM

AQAAAAMA/g8GAAAAHgABMAEAAAAGAAAAJ0ZPVCcAAAACAQswAQAAABgAAABTTVRQOkZPVEBBVVRP

WC5URUFNLk5FVAADAAA5AAAAAAsAQDoBAAAAHgD2XwEAAAAEAAAARk9UAAIB918BAAAALAAAAL8A

AAC1O8LALHcQGqG8CAArKlbCFQAAAE/fU0dz1dIRipIA4CkzSIokhgAAAwD9XwEAAAADAP9fAAAA

AAIB9g8BAAAABAAAAAAAAAIuSAEEgAEAGAAAAFRSLTYgVGVjaG5pY2FsIFF1ZXN0aW9uACwIAQWA

AwAOAAAAzwcMAAgABwAVACEAAwAqAQEggAMADgAAAM8HDAAIAAcABQArAAMAJAEBCYABACEAAABG

NzU0NkJBQzNBQUREMzExOEE5MjAwNTAwNDZGMkQ5MAAcBwEDkAYAdAcAACAAAAALAAIAAQAAAAsA

IwAAAAAAAwAmAAAAAAALACkAAAAAAAMANgAAAAAAQAA5AMBaqMN2Qb8BHgBwAAEAAAAYAAAAVFIt

NiBUZWNobmljYWwgUXVlc3Rpb24AAgFxAAEAAAAWAAAAAb9BdsOOrGtU+606EdOKkgBQBG8tkAAA

HgAeDAEAAAADAAAATVMAAB4AHwwBAAAAFwAAAFJPQlVTMS9ST0JVU01BSUwvamFja3cAAAMABhDQ

04qrAwAHENMEAAAeAAgQAQAAAGUAAABJSEFWRUVOQ09VTlRFUkVEQVBST0JMRU1XSVRIQTE5NzRU

Ui02SUFNV09SS0lOR09OLEFOREFNSE9QSU5HU09NRU9ORU9VVFRIRVJFTUFZQkVBQkxFVE9IRUxQ

TUVPVVRFVkVSAAAAAAIBCRABAAAAYgQAAF4EAADABgAATFpGdeGF5GUDAAoAcmNwZzEyNRYyAPgL

YG4OEDAzM50B9yACpAPjAgBjaArAYHNldDAgBxMCgH05CoF1YwBQCwMLtSBJYiARAHZlIAnwBaB1

hwIwBJAJgCBhIHADYJECYGVtIAPwdGgUYQAxOTc0IFRSLVo2EzFhFPEFsGsLgGdqIAIgLBRgbhRR

FPBo1G9wFrJzA3BlAiATkC8IYAVAFTAUISAAwHkgXmITkAGgFNAYwG8TUGXsbHAZIBhzLgqiCoQK

gPJFE4ByeRUwFrQYwQQAfCBjCsERAAQgGXAJ8CBpCXBidQMQdBcQC4Bj3QpAZBayGNEToWcLgBmB

QxdBHNFicy4gEzAn6RTwbm8H4HQb0B6TGgD+dBPwGdEe4R/HE1QegATwuwIgGGBjFBAUUB7SbAuA

uGthZyHRIyQelnQWcEMftBckZGp1cyNyZa8A0BVAETAKsWEUEGwZUH8YEBjBJ3AYwhlQCsATkHDs

dWwj8R60cxZAGYEEYGsT8RbgZhRgaQXAKCFptmQU0CARVxUiHtl3CsBebRcQE0AQ8AWQax7Dbfxp

eCFgGQELgCbEH8IZYP8ZUCPwAYAelhfAJoAcUQGgARiSMS80IiAocDcEkB7DFnJzF6EZIW51/QdA

KStCGOADoBNALxIviv8uER7SCXAKwR/CFxAe0isC9x4iNJERMHMeEh6AHNAk0/8UcAUQLmICIB6A

JNACICAR/lQY4gIQCXAsshNjJkce0n8YYAmAGcEHQAMgMUMZQWT/IJAcYSfiE5AG4AJAA3AqUvEv

mShpLisxHSEU0AORjx0hFSAVATrRZ28pFxR/HIMUECaAGAAk0DrRMcF37yXhN04a6jhhIANRKjEu

k+c/0h7hF7BwbwCQFBAyj/8vtjUkHxUegDZPPiM3qhNFfydgBAA57DQjHKEv1gQgZvcKwT57PYVm

KPE3Qz9BHcD/M1QfFUBURyIVAEUPRhQ2ie8Z8BoAPiIa201EcCpDMUb/ImcYUzQzETAcwgQgHRdV

RPEVwjIvMzCwJxEIgU/S/zdiEQAUUCCAE6AtkAQQOAHfJGIgwAbwIAIIUWwjlFj/vxliHNAmcB6U

S0IUpD8iV75rJzAFQDrCPLUFsGkfMckHQCB2ANB1dRTwI/G3B5EuEQtRYyswGupBWeC+bxcQT/Me

2RyiBvBkHhHlPrViANBrZiqgGHQqYf8YUzEkPFAY4S6ET/UCYAUg/SUUaANgAkArI0LiXyADAP83

8hjAB3AWshyhETFDEAWx/jMRYAEACcIl4WnBTaImQP9fkBPAOOE/dDlia3McwAhwPxOBETAU4D/h

GgAZcU9L6z2FPqFkA2BwHTFkMRni4xhgCsFUREMqxjJwGuq3E0AWcFpSYURQCXBjBzDnFBAXISex

dWckQEBRAiDHS/EDYR7DRk9UPxADYH51GlAdIRnxT/AoIS2QZ95oBUBb/xSkIBFNcrIoAS8kECAA

GuQR8QB48AAAAwAQEAAAAAADABEQAQAAAAMAgBD/////QAAHMKDQSY10Qb8BQAAIMKDQSY10Qb8B

CwABgAggBgAAAAAAwAAAAAAAAEYAAAAAA4UAAAAAAAADAAKACCAGAAAAAADAAAAAAAAARgAAAAAQ

hQAAAAAAAAMAA4AIIAYAAAAAAMAAAAAAAABGAAAAAFKFAAB0EAAAHgAEgAggBgAAAAAAwAAAAAAA

AEYAAAAAVIUAAAEAAAAFAAAAOC4wMgAAAAADAAWACCAGAAAAAADAAAAAAAAARgAAAAABhQAAAAAA

AAsABoAIIAYAAAAAAMAAAAAAAABGAAAAAA6FAAAAAAAAAwAHgAggBgAAAAAAwAAAAAAAAEYAAAAA

EYUAAAAAAAADAAiACCAGAAAAAADAAAAAAAAARgAAAAAYhQAAAAAAAB4ACYAIIAYAAAAAAMAAAAAA

AABGAAAAADaFAAABAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAeAAqACCAGAAAAAADAAAAAAAAARgAAAAA3hQAAAQAAAAEA

AAAAAAAAHgALgAggBgAAAAAAwAAAAAAAAEYAAAAAOIUAAAEAAAABAAAAAAAAAB4APQABAAAAAQAA