fot

Re: Triumph TR4

To: "Carsten Conrads" <carco@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: Triumph TR4
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:51:43 -0800
It certainly sounds like you have one of my old engines.  It was probably
out of a TR-4 though as I did not have the G-3 camshaft until into the
1960's and I stopped racing myself in the end of 1960.  The crankshaft
sounds like the type that I had specially nitride hardened and then gound to
minus .010" to give perfect alignment.  Look carefully at the connecting rod
bolts.  I used a LARGER diameter bolt that was very very hard and with an
increased torque to 60 pounds. If the bolts are larger 7/16" diameter use
the higher torque number. If they are stock use the stock torque. I
specially prepared these connecting rods for these larger bolts and then
re-machined the interior diameter. If you use a lower torque on these
special bolts the rod surface interior will not be round as the rods were
torqued to the higher number when machined, so check this very carefully.
The stock bolt is 3/8" my  later engine had bolts  that were 7/16". We found
in long testing that larger valves did not increase the power enough to ever
be worth the effort in making the additioin to the size. The inlet ports
being smaller are my recommendation long long ago as this assisted in
speeding up the air flow speed and definatly was better in power and
throttle response as the fuel did not fall out of the air streeam as
readilly..  Lucky to find these good parts and so good luck to you with your
preparation.  It appears to be going very well and looking very nice.