fot

Re: Millenium thoughts

To: Paul Richardson <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Millenium thoughts
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:07:10 -0600

Paul Richardson wrote:

> For those of us that were born in the early forties there have been
> enormous changes.
>
> Snip snip
>
> By the grace of God we've all survived thus far to see the year 2000 - but
> is it little wonder that there is a generation gap?
>
> Paul

Ah, you touch a sensitive subject. I watched with wonder at the amount of gifts
my granddaughter received for Christmas, bless her heart. As a child, I had one
small drawer full of toys and that's it, and still enjoyed myself. My wife grew
up on a farm where the phone system had twenty parties on it and was operated
by a hand crank, and the electricity in the house came from a generator on the
windmill tower that charged wet cell batteries in the basement (and of course
she's only 39 years old -- I robbed the cradle). As a teenager I bought a Model
A Ford and it was old even then, but attracted the chicks -- but it got only 15
miles per gallon, about what Model T's did. And, of course, we EXPECTED cars to
leak, and EXPECTED to have to do valves and rings every 35,000 miles. I bought
cars like that because there were no such things as British cars....

Three weeks ago, on the Internet, I found an item I wanted to buy, I looked up
the specifications on the supplier's site and found that he was in Australia, I
ordered it while sitting here at home, paid for it by sending him my VISA
number, and it arrived from Australia in eight days. When I was a kid we rode
downtown on the bus to buy everything!

This is such an incredibly exciting time in which to live!

Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year --

uncle jack, aunt frances, and Tony