fot

Re: Brake pads (turned into part three!)

To: <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake pads (turned into part three!)
From: "Roger Beasley" <beeline@iline.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 19:56:04 -0500
Leon,

CarboTech is a company located in South Florida and the source of pads and
shoes for most of the vintage Triumphs that race in the state.  I tried both
the "Blue" and the "Black" compounds and found them not too forgiving on
initial application of the brakes.  They had a tendency to lock up on the
vintage cars due to lack of grip of the narrow, treaded tires as compared to
the wide slicks run by the current production cars.  CarboTech recommended I
try their "Gold" compound (probably called that because of the $120+ price).
The 'Golds" are much more progressive with the same apparent ultimate
coefficient of friction.  I have been happy with the performance and the
lack of flat spots on my front tires.

I don't know what recommendation applies to a street vehicle as I always
warm my brakes on the pace lap of a race or the out-lap of practice, so have
never seriously tried them "cold".

Roger Beasley
Cape Coral, Fl