fot

Brake pads (turned into part three!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake pads (turned into part three!)
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 15:08:19 EST
In a message dated 31/12/99 17:54:27 GMT Standard Time, sbarr@mccarty-law.com
writes:

<< An interesting treatise.  I'll be looking sorward to hearing (reading)
 FOT reactions.  Right now, I'm planning on CarboTech pads and shoes when
 it's time to replace mine.  How much were the EBCs?  CarboTech's pads
 will be around $150, I think.

Carbo  Tech?
Are they from Hawk Brake?

I see they sell
'HP Plus'
a high performance/competition material
'Hawk Black'
Sprint, Hillclimb, Rally & Circuit use
(high torque with minimal pedal effort/low wear rate)
and
'Hawk Blue MT4'
for circuit use and endurance racing.
(medium/high torque with minimal pedal effort/low wear rate)

Other materials availiable, please enquire.

The small picture of the box in the cambridge motorsport catalogue says
'Ferro-Carbon'
on it.

As a matter of interest: the following part numbers are listed:
TR4A-6 & GT6
(also fitting: AH3000,MGC,RS2000, many TVR.)

Cambridge Motorsport Part No.CM9010
Hawk Part No.HB169
Mintex Part No.MGB525
Ferodo Part No.502
Unipart Part No.GBP581

And for the TR7
(also fitting Midget/Sprite, Mini 1000 (1984-1992), Mini 1275GT, Cooper
(1990-1997).)

Cambridge Motorsport Part No.CM9011
Hawk Part No.HB123
Mintex Part No.MLB37
Ferodo Part No.37
Unipart Part No.GBP307

That's all for listed by Cambridge Motorsport for Triumphs, but you will
probably find going direct to Hawk in the USA is a better bet.

They also list Mintex Pads & Shoes

in two asbestos free materials: 1144 for fast road and competition use and
1155, a harder material for extended circuit use or endurance racing.

Cambridge Motorsport Part No. CMB1144 pad set TR4-6 1144 material
Cambridge Motorsport Part No. CMB1155 pad set TR4-6 1155 material
Cambridge Motorsport Part No. CM9101 shoe set TR3-6 M20 material

Also, Kellate Metallic Race Brake Shoes:

The ultimate material for racing. Offering superior competition braking
performance and outlasts other more conventional racing materials!
Ideal for all circuit and endurance racing.
Note: Kellated metallic materials require bedding to initiate a chemical
reaction on the interface between shoe and drum. This chemical reaction
produces a tri-metallic film, (approx 0.02" thick) which has a very high
co-efficient of friction with very low lock-up properties.
Full braking capabilities will not be realised if there is not full contact.
It is therefore important that the drums are in good condition to promote a
flat contact area with the brake shoes. Bedding-in instructions (quite easy)
are included with all Kellated Metallic Brake Shoes.

Not a word about Kevlar pads though!
Ted Schumacher tells me that he has been supplying Kevlar-lined pads for
quite a few years now...so he is well worth a try.

Léon
(never knew that we had such a choice in braking materials for our cars)

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.