fot

Piston Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Piston Question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 13:43:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I'm getting ready to start building my next motor. This would be
semi-ironic in that I actually haven't started the primary motor yet...
but I never do things in the general linear fashion anyway.... so...

This one will be around 12.5:1 compression ratio. I've got the block at
the shoppe, and there's a slight taper to the bore - so a re-bore seems to
be in order.  Seeing that I'm boring anyway - I might as well "open it up"
to a .030 overbore or whatever.

I'm looking for the collective list wisdom regarding whether I should use
cast or forged pistons for this job. I'm also seeking advice about
ceramic coating etc.

If I need forged pistons, I'll also need a source of new income... unless
someone can elighten me on an inexpesive source of forged pistons. I'd
also like to hear any experience with hyper-utectic (sp??) pistons, as
they are sort of in-between cast and forged, cost wise as near as I can
figure from reading my books on the topic.

Thanks in advance.
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |