fot

Fw: Spring spacers

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Spring spacers
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2000 16:34:49 -0000

Scott wrote--

> From: Barr, Scott <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
> To: 'Joe Curry' <spitlist@gte.net>
> Cc: 'fot@autox.team.net'
> Subject: RE: GT6 front springs
> Date: 21 January 2000 13:07> Joe,
>
> I too had the aluminum spacer on top of the left (driver's) side spring.
> I don't know if my springs were different, though, as I never measured
> the free length.  The stock springs went immediately under the bench,
> having been replaced by the adjustable Carreras.  With the adjustable
> ride height, I didn't replace the spacer.
>
> I always assumed that the spacer was there to compensate for the
> difference in ride height caused by the driver's weight in the car.
>
> I'll be interested to hear others' information on the topic.

Hi Scott

This spacer above the front left spring on several GT6's reminds me of a
factory mod made to Triumph Heralds when I was in my apprenticeship. The
first Heralds developed a list to port resulting in a high volume of
ladies, whilst driving to the shops, steering their cars whilst sitting at
a disconcerting and considerable angle off vertical. Ladies with 'Herald
sag' would then exit their cars and walk temporarily at an angle of about
20 degrees off vertical to starboard. The fair sex thus indisposed, would
persistently veer into everyone in Coventry shopping precincts, trip over
their shopping baskets, crash into shop windows, tread on dogs, or indeed,
fall into the laps of elderly gentlemen sitting peacefully on benches
picking their noses or smoking pipes discussing the football match.-
Something had to be done.

The official factory mod, and I did hundreds, was to fit an aluminum spacer
on top of the left front spring and shocker unit to 'lift' the left hand
side of the car. We also had to paint the spacer black so that customers
didn't spot it!! The fault was due to sagging springs or 'slight'
imperfections in build quality.  I WONDER??

All the best
Paul