fot

Re: Gearbox Oil - Overdrives

To: Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gearbox Oil - Overdrives
From: JHarkness@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:04:03 EST
In my TR3 vintage racer, I used Valvoline 85-90 gear oil for years with good
results.  More recently, Charles Vincent in FL, who rebuilt my overdrive,
recommended straight 50 racing oil.  I've been using that for the last two
seasons.  Probably not long enough to really test, but I can feel the
difference in the OD shift with the lighter weight oil.  A recent
tear-down/inspection revealed extremely clean internals and a lot less brass
flakes than I used to see.  FWIW.    John Harkness