fot

RE: Looking Back

To: "'R. Kastner'" <kaskas@earthlink.net>, N197TR4@cs.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Looking Back
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:11:48 -0600
Kas wrote:

> Yes indeed you have the story straight.  We did win the D modified
catagory
> in the division and at the runnoffs in Daytona. Interesting enough as the
> competition was two Ferrari's and a couple of Coopers and sometimes other
> stuff not possible to describe.

Winning races in D Mod in those days was no easy task - there were plenty of
_very_ fast cars. Hmmmmm - you don't happen to know where that Dm TR4A is
now . . . ?

> Charlie Gates is alive in Orange county
> California and about 86 years old I'd say.  He started racing when he
turned
> 47 and raced the first TR-4 in the USA. He was a successful Porsche pilot
> for a couple years then I grabed him and converted him to the Water
Buffalo
> crowd. He drove in all our Sebring efforts except in the TR-250K.

Glad to hear about Charlie - I spent many weekends watching him do battle in
that TR4 at Pomona, Riverside & etc. with Hollywood Sports Cars' BMC
products (a Healey 3000 and then an MGB). Which were not exactly piloted by
slouches either - Ron Bucknum and Jim Adams.

Jim Hill
Madison WI