fot

Hubs

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Hubs
From: "Mordy Dunst" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:33:42 -0600
About my hubs on the IRS...

The bearings on the left Rear gave way at Mid Ohio last year...Just ask
Effinger (his jaw dropped- he couldn't believe that the wheel was still on
the car.)  Mr. Smock was quite impressed as well.
I was substantially, lucky.  In any event I dissasembled the unit when I got
home and replaced the bearings...I was under the impression that I had a
240Z "type" set-up... This modification was supposed to have happened around
1967  when the car was campaigned in SCCA.
I didn't think 240's came out until 1970..

I went to the Datsun dealer and looked in their fiche files and found
NOTHING that resembled my rear hub set-up.  I was able to get my old
bearings (from the other side) and found some sort of # on them and matched
them up with a "high quality" set...
The bearings are a sealed type and both inner and outer are the same size.
Very innexpensive -about $5.00 each!!  The 240z bearings were much more
costly...about $70.00/side and wouldn't have fit in any case.  Their  OD was
bigger but the ID was the same on the stub axel shaft.

I believe that the stub axels are one inch diameter....