fot

Flogging Darts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Flogging Darts
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:58:06 -0800
Nope, I'm not coming out. I don't think much of the looks except for the
ability to startle people and scare small children. Nice motor though. I DO
think Dart is a good name for it. Looks like it would stick very nicely into
almost any lawn if launched with a high enough angle.

Of course no one could accuse me of any strangeness in my collection
(accumulation or even accretion are much better words)

Bill B

1957 Cadillac Fleetwood (that fuel tank must be leaking, nothing drinks gas
that fast)
Peyote MK II (the new love of my life, I know, I know "but will she be
faithful")
1962 TR3 (banned from racing anywhere in the known galaxy until I put all
the tin back on)
1967 Maserati Mistral (inexorably undoing all the money I spent restoring it
due to Italian Flu--parts magically fail even when unused or unstressed)
1984 BMW M6 (that turns out to be a grey market car--no M6's in the US until
86, Doh--I may never be able to get insurance)
1996 Ferrari 355 Spyder (yahoo! Is that Don Johnson behind those foster
grants? He sure got old since Miami Vice)
1962 Corvette (wife's dowry)
1997 Boxster (wife's)
1960 BSA Goldstar Clubman (every boy needs a boy racer, and it's never too
late to be immature)
1959 BSA Goldstar Catalina (you wanna see hematomas, I'll show you
hematomas)
1950 Vincent Black Shadow ( you wanna see bizarre mechanical complexity...)
1962 Honda 150 Dream (you wanna see raw power, oh wait, that's not the right
bike...)
1972 BMW R50/5 Cafe Racer (Like making a race car from a volvo wagon)
1968 Matchless G80CS (My trusty desert sled)
A Pretty Large Box of Japanese dirt bikes (okay, make that a Very Large Box)
1984 G1100E Suzuki (there's a lot of areas of me that no longer tan because
of this bike)
1998 Ducati 916 (An ever-present opportunity to scare myself witless)

And you'll all be pleased to know that I got rid of the Jag 420, the first
motor vehicle (other than ordinary transport) I have sold since Roger Jordan
bought my first real bike, a BSA A10, in 1969. I bitterly regret the A10, so
far I'm OK with the 420.