fot

TR Gear ratios

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Gear ratios
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:49:30 -0500
Amichi,

Does anyone have a table or list of the ratios for the various gear sets
used in the TR3 through TR6 gearboxes?  I think the ratios were in same in
the entire TR2-4 series and consistent within the TR4A-6 series, but I am
not sure.  Also, what is available, what is unobtanium and what else
(non-Triumph) will fit?  I know, from the original workshop manual, the TR2
(3-4 also?) ratios are as follows:

TR2
3.38    1st
2.00    2nd
1.325   3rd
1.00    4th
1.82    4th OD

I'm starting to try to figuring out what parts I will needed for next
winter's tranny rebuild.  I will be building a TR4 gearbox for my
street/AutoX TR3, hopefully with a mix of gear sets to obtain ratio's that
will allow the OD to split the gears more evenly than it currently does.  I
am planning on basing it on a TR4 gearbox housing, unless there is a better
starting point.

I am aware that gearset mixing and matching has been done by others.
Unfortunately, I have very little background on what is interchangeable and
what is not, or of any pitfalls along the way.  Are all the TR4A-TR6 gears
fully compatible with the TR4 gearbox?  Will all the gears and the entire
box get proper lubrication with mixed gear sets?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I've never rebuilt a tranny, but
I hadn't built an engine until a year ago either, and I am very happy with
the way it turned out.  Although, if I was going to do it over again, I'd. .
. . . . .    Well, we all know how that goes.  <smile>

Thanks,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando