fot

RE: TR Gear ratios

To: "Bob Lang" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: TR Gear ratios
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:36:21 -0500
Bob,

> The Chris Harvey Triumph TR book has all the ratios listed in back. The
> list covers all the big Triumphs. I have no idea how accurate it is, but
> it should serve as a pretty good guide.

Based on what you wrote later, I'll just get the TR6 book from Charles and
Co.

> As for mixing and matching gear sets, it is do-able, but probably the
> single best internal mod you can make is to change from bronze bushings
> to steel. In order to accommodate this change, you'll have to swap the
> second gear main shaft gear and counter shaft gears (they should be
> swapped in sets) to the late style gear that used the steel bush. The
> "later style" was used starting at around CF12500, according to the
> boos, but my experience is that the changeover is considerably later,
> like CF25000 or higher.

A big step in the right direction.  I just became aware of someone who is
testing a plastic bushing material to replace the bronze tophats.  The steel
is proven, but this has some interesting ramifications, i.e., you can still
use the earlier gearset too.  More ratios to choose from!

> FWIW, even though I can do my own trannys, I often suggest to folks to
> use one of the experts for the job. They'll see problems before you will
> and this will cost you less in the long run. I'm pretty partial to a
> person in CT named John Esposito and his business is Quantum Mechanics.
> He's listed in the "monster list". There are (of course) several folks on
> this list that would also be more than happy to make your tranny work
> better, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

I've been to an all day (marathon) tech session at QuantuMechanics.  I saw a
gearbox disassembled and rebuilt, as well as an OD.  That is why I feel
confident I can do this job.  I've seen it done.

I doubt very seriously that John would be the guy to help determine which
gears to swap in and out though.  He knows his tranny's and I would trust
him with mine, no questions asked, but he seemed pretty much on the straight
and narrow, as far as following the OEM recommendations.  Then again, he
does have a racing history and might be a wolf in sheep's clothing.

FYI - John told me that a tranny (or OD) rebuild would be four hours, or
$200, plus parts, so if I get in over my head, either John (or Keith
Thomson, a local LBC guy at www.realeyhealey.com) will get to pick up the
pieces.

Thanks,

Jack