fot

Sebring info and story

To: "Ted Schumacher" <tedtsimx@q1.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sebring info and story
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:44:03 -0800
The Viper engines are built about ten minutes from my house here in
Oceanside by Caldwell Development of Vista California.  John Caldwell is a
life long friend of mine and also built the engine for Newman's TR-6 when he
won the Nat'l  at Atlanta.  In fact becuase of John that is the reason that
I gave Newman the special camshafts. Caldwell also was my Director of the
engine department and responsible for all the engines at NPTI for the Nissan
Prototypes wherein we won Sebring overall so many times and with a couple of
1,2 finishes. David Brabham is the younger brother of Geoff Brabham who won
the IMSA drivers cha,mpionship for Nissan ( and yours truly) in 89,90,91 &
92.  Very nice guys. FAST too.

Small Triumph Sebring story.  When building the cars for the 1963 attack at
Sebring, I had 31 gal fuel tanks made up and then installed them in the
trunks of the cars. At the first filling I found that they were oversize by
almost 1½ gals. No time to take out and change etc etc.....soooooooo, I
bought a bunch of plastic 8 ounce bottles, screwed the lids on tight and
dumped them into the tank until the proper volume was found.  Went through
tech inspection easy and right on the money. Later on we found that the
gasoline had melted the plastic and I was back to the original size.  Good
thing they never checked them after the event.  Amazingly none of the
drivers noticed the knocking around in the tank when on low fuel. I heard it
instantly but " whatchagoingtodo". We went three hours with each car before
refueling. ( could have made it without the extra but ......) Finished the
event 1,2,4.