fot

NT another Sebring story

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: NT another Sebring story
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:06:21 -0800
1965, Sebring entrant is three factory Spitfire coupes with 1100 cc
engines. Just about sundown this huge rainstorm hits the pit area and
most of the racetrack. The water is piling up on the front straight and
the little 3 foot pitwall between the pits and the track. The wall is
neat to sit on as as I am waiting for my last car to come around so that
we could change to the rain tires. Lap times are in the 8 minutes region
and everyone is going about 10 miles an hour, Jim Hall comes out of the
pits with his special Chevy racer (running first overal) with a kinda
snowplow front end spoiler on it.  It's too late for me to duck back
across the narrrow pitlane, water is thrown five feet high and right
over the top of me and just about melts the cheap cowboy hat I've got on
. I put my hand down outside the wall to see how deep the water is, the
water comes over my WATCH. Yup, it's time for rain tires. The last car
comes in, Ed Barker, as the tires are being changed and the mechanic
reaches for the rain tire to put it on he looks up and the tire is
twenty feet down the pit lane floating away. NOW THAT IS A RAIN RACE.