fot

A couple questions

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: A couple questions
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:48:06 -0500
To the dirty fingernail crowd,

Question 1: Upon tearing down the engine in my race car, I found one of the
connecting rod bolts was finger tight. My machine shop gave the rod a clean
bill of health after magnifluxing, cleaning up the minor spalling on the
end cap and resizing the big end. It's a stock rod with Carillo bolts. My
machinist is suggesting a higher than stock torque setting to take
advantage of the stronger Carillo bolt, he is calling Carillo to verify.
Does this make sense?

Question 2 is about break in, or should I say the lack of engine break in.
After getting this engine together, I hope to have the car on the track
without any real run-in time at all. I'll run it long enough to get the cam
and tappets happy, but wasn't planning on disturbing the neighbors much
more than that. How long should it take to get the rings to bed when
running at track speed? I am running a very low running time set of
pistons/rings/liners with a real light hone job to break the glaze. Should
I use mineral based oil for the entire race weekend, then switch to synthetic?

I still can't decide what to do with 5 gallons of 3 year old racing fuel I
drained out of the fuel cell... Somehow I don't think the push mower or the
snow plow truck will get the job done any faster with it!