fot

spitfire SU needles - need help

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: spitfire SU needles - need help
From: "Janice/Matt Matthews" <matthews-home@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:17:45 -0500
I race a 1300 spitfire in SCCA FP with two 1.5 inch SU carbs.
I have done some swapping of dasphot/piston pairs hand now have some that
lift much better than before. As a result of this I am running very rich
with my RC needles.
What needles are any of the rest of you running on your SU carbed 1300 or
1500 engines, with near stock SU's?
When I put the newly acquired used Comptune's on I also run rich. What
needles are any of you using on these modified SU's. It also will not idle
or start unassisted.
I have talked to two people one sys he has no trouble. The other says he
needs to file a flat on the top 0.5 inch of the needle to get it to start
and idle. Does the 45 degree tape on the back of some jets serve this
function?

I realize my cart will be different than yours, I just am interested in a
ballpark needle for starting purposes.

Help

Thanks.