fot

Re: Bolt Torquing

To: <WEmery7451@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bolt Torquing
From: "Roger Beasley" <beeline@iline.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 09:41:25 -0400
Bill,

After seeing your reference to stock rods, I am reminded of my experience
the first time I ran my TR4 on the same day I purchased it.  One of the rods
let go as I was leaving the grid at less than 4000 RPM.  It really did a
number on the engine as I was only able to reuse the intake manifold, carbs,
distributor and water pump.  The rest was either bent or broken entirely.

I rounded up two more sets of stock rods and along with the three remaining
originals sent them to J. K. Jackson who has access to an ion bombardment
x-ray machine.  Of the 11 rods, only one was worth using.  The rest had
numerous stress cracks, mostly in the area of the oil hole in the rod beam
where the first rod had broken.  That helped me make my decision to go to
Carillo rods even though I wanted to remain as close to vintage race prep as
possible.

I do still use a prepared stock crank and hold the revs to 6,000.  I have
eleven race weekends on the bearings and it is just now indicating a need to
renew them.  Most of the longevity I attribute to Glen Efinger's careful
assembly of the (new) engine.

Roger Beasley
'62 TR-4 #75
Cape Coral, FL