fot

Solo II Nat'l Tour in Ayer, MA (USA)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Solo II Nat'l Tour in Ayer, MA (USA)
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:39:32 -0400 (EDT)
Short one - results available through the miracle of the 'net...

Six, count 'em six, Triumphs made the event.

One TR4 - Matt Wilder, trophied in E Prepared. Coulda' been 1st overall
in class, but the "B" course was not kind to Triumphs.... not sure why.
But Matt deserves a hearty "thumps up". Yes!

One Spitfire Mk 1 (!) Piloted by Mark van de Carr. Safety stewards seemed
concerned about the Spitfire's "swing axle tuck", and this was only
heightened after a later model Ford product (Mercury Tracer) actually
_rolled_ on Saturday. But Mark overcame the safety steward hassling and a
broken generator on Sat. to run his events on Sunday _and_ drive the car 4
hours back to New York after the event. Huzzah! Please insert Triumph Spirit
award here!

One unbelievably fast E Modified TR7 (alas, rotary 13B powered) trophied, in
fact won outright "fastest triumph" of the event. The pilot was Steve
Hayward from New York state.

One '64 Spitfire LeMans GT replica ran in D Mod, but mechanical problems
(actually ignition problems) caused Robert "Tutten" (actually Totten) to
miss Sunday's festivities. Too bad, Bob would have been on the amazingly
fast "A" course on Sunday. That course was "wicked kool" to use a New
England euphamism.

Last, there were _TWO_ '73 TR6's piloted by Dean van de Carr and this author
running in F Prepared. It was great to have a chance to compete with
another car in my class, and I wound up with the trophy on this day. We
both "sweated" the possibility of having to run in the rain, but the rain
wound up being a few sprinkles and of no consequence at all. I also had a
minor mechanical problem when my throttle cross-shaft's cotter pin fell
out (never did find it _or the washer_) on my first run... a quick repair
was made with a 5/16" washer and a safety pin allowing me to finish my
other runs.

All in all, it was an awesome event, and it was really neat to see all
those Triumphs out there.

For details, see:

http://www.scca.org/amateur/nat_tour/2000/ayer/results.html

Screech,
rml

p.s. "next year" Andy M., John L. and others??? How about the NE
Divisional at Griffiss in early August??? Can you spell concrete??? ;-)
p.p.s. while not directly Triumph related, in addition to two '73 TR6's
in the F Prepared field, there were two Turner 1500's in the A Prepared
field. That is _quite_ unbelievable in that this was most certainly _not_
a vintage event. Majorly kool.
p.p.p.s. This author also overcame a minor problem when it was discovered
that my car was actually 23 pounds under weight (not bad for guess work!)
during the initial check-in. A full fuel tank and a spare late-model TR6
flywheel bolted to the passenger floor made the car "legal" by 11 pounds
during impound on day 1. Kewl.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |