fot

Re: Great Race; Monday midday update

To: "T.R. Householder" <trhouse@greenapple.com>
Subject: Re: Great Race; Monday midday update
From: Andrew Mace <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:45:36 -0400 ()
On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, T.R. Householder wrote:

> Go to http://www.britishpacific.com/greatrace
>
> I think today was the start of this thing keep an eye on them good luck
> to all!!!!

And I am happy to report that Steve and Janet Hedke, piloting "Scrappy,"
arrived safely in Albany, NY, this noontime for the lunch break of the
Great Race. All is well with them and the car.

If anyone would like it, I can e-mail a picture taken of the three of them
at the stop on the Empire State Plaza (State government buildings).
Contact me directly, please. (Maybe I can get the picture up to a website
later on.)

Some very interesting cars in the "Race" (it's really a TSD rallye, of
course, but Race is so much easier for the promoters and the media to
hype). There are lots and lots of Fords and an amazing number of Hudsons
(who'd have thought!) and Buicks. Personally favorites of mine (in
addition to Scrappy) include the Allard (J2, I think; only caught a
glimpse), a VW "Beetle" Hebmuller convertible (if you think the
ubitquitous Karmann-bodied Beetle convertible is cute, you'd LOVE the
Hebmuller -- more of a convertible coupe with a much longer and more
sloping rear deck/engine lid) and a very nice prewar BMW roadster.

And The Vintage Triumph Register actually had two officers (yours truly
and Rik Schlierer, VP for Region, Chapter and Zone Services) there to
welcome Steve and Janet, along with several members of Adirondack Triumph
Association and other local enthusiasts.

--Andy