fot

Another search for history continues - New England region ??

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Another search for history continues - New England region ??
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:02:05 EDT
FOTers

    I recently purchased a basket case of a Spitfire racecar. I was talking
today with Kurt Getches who was among the people involved in racing this car.
Getches claims that this spitfire was reputedly the first Spitfire (Mark II)
to win a national race in the United States. (I do not know whether this is
an outrageous claim or not...feedback ??) Getches was told this by the
original owner/racer (names not remembered) who he meet at race Daytona race
track by accident. The car was purchased specifically for racing. By the time
of the daytona meeting, the original owner had switched to racing mustangs.
The first owner/racer is beleived to be from New York state. Does this ring a
bell with anyone out there? car, original racer ???

    Some of you may have raced against this car at one time. French Hickman
apparently purchased the car from someone in New York and tend raced in the
midwest. In 1972 it was running GP and continued while it was active. The
people that we know raced the car are French Hickman (late 60s/early 70s),
Kurt Getches, and in the 1980s, Don Reynolds (all Oklahoma folks). It was
originally white, then painted to a bright yellow with orage/red
"highlights". Made a number of appearances at the SCCA nationals.

Thanks in Advance, Cary