fot

Sportsmanship

To: "Richardson, Paul" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Subject: Sportsmanship
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:37:17 +0100
Paul

I entirely agree with your assessment of the football hooligans bringing
discredit on the
country in the fiasco that seems to have ruled UK TV for days on end. I was
greatly
cheered at the sight of one of them in Charleroi being hit full in the chest by
a water
cannon after he had heaved a table and chair at a police cordon. Unfortunately
(for him)
the force of the water removed his T-shirt and propelled him backwards on the
road on his
back. He later had the effrontery to complain to a 'sympathetic' TV crew of
police
brutality and victimisation.
On more of a motor racing theme, it seems to me that much of it has just
descended into
the realms of many other sports where a flagrant disregard of the rules of the
game
(whatever it happens to be) are up for grabs. In this regard, it largely
reflects current
standards both in sport and everyday life where 'me first and to hell with the
consequences' is the watchword of so many so-called participants and
enthusiasts. This was
exemplified in the Canadian Grand Prix a week or so back where a pit crew
entirely
disregarded the fact that one driver (forget his name) lost his gears
immediately prior to
the start and stayed on the grid long after the rules had clearly stated they
should have
left it. Result was an enforced 10 second stop in the pits later on and one or
two
commentators complaining the action by the race organisers 'was unfair and
unreasonable.'
I suppose it would have been more unfair and unreasonable if in starting the
race, one or
more of those spanner-wankers found himself playing a harp instead of the job
he was
supposed to do?

Jonmac